[gst-devel] Controlling video playback

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Dec 16 05:33:02 CET 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, David Topper wrote:

> I'm trying to find some documentation on:
>
> a) how to control video playback with gstreamer

I'd say "use a GStreamer based video player", but that is probably not
what you were talking about, was it?

> b) how to write video fx plugins
>
> Does anyone know a good place to start?  The gstreamer docs don't seem
> to have much on this.  I suspect something with dynamic variables will
> work for a) but I'm at a loss as to how to get a nice screen[x][y]
> matrix from gstreamer for me to muck with.
>
> If anyone has some tips, I'd love to hear them.

That's what caps are used for. You define what kind of matrix you want
with the caps, and after that each buffer you get contains data that you
can simply cast to your screen[x][y] matrix.
See the effectv plugins or any other video plugin to get an idea how it's
done.

And like Thomas said in another mail: videofilter is a nice abstraction
for people writing plugins that just want to muck with the screen[x][y]
matrix.

Benjamin