[gst-devel] Re: GtkMediaPlayer widget

Ryan Gammon rgammon at real.com
Tue Dec 16 15:09:08 CET 2003

Ronald Bultje wrote:

>Good point. I recall KDE having the same discussion when they proposed
>to integrate GStreamer into arts (i.e. provide a Arts-based wrapper on
>top of GStreamer, then provide another KDE wrapper on top of arts for
>the videospecific stuffies, and also some more wrappers here and there
>to keep the wrapper ratio at an acceptable level).

A GtkMediaPlayer interface is not a wrapper. It is an interface.

>I'm not sure about others, but I didn't particularly like it, no. You
>lose a **lot** of functionality in these abstractions,

You expose advanced functionality in other ways -- deriving from
GtkMediaPlayer being one way.

>and if you use
>more than the abstractions (as Ryan proposes), then what's the use of
>the abstraction? It won't be "portable" anymore...

Some gtk developers will only need play/stop/pause functionality.

For the rest, it eases the learning curve, and puts media widgets front
and center in the gtk developer's experience, where they should be,
standing proudly beside GtkCalendar and friends.

>Video doesn't belong in Gtk+, that's my opinion.

The gstreamer-isn't-a-soundserver arguement isn't computing for me here.
I think a media player interface most definitely belongs in gtk.

--
Ryan Gammon
rgammon at real.com
Developer for Helix Player