[gst-devel] [GStreamer] A new project

Edward Hervey hervey_e at epita.fr
Wed Dec 17 11:11:01 CET 2003

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:09:44 +0100
Xavier Bestel <xavier.bestel at free.fr> wrote:

> Le mer 17/12/2003 à 13:50, Benjamin Otte a écrit :
> > You might want to have a look at what Wim has already done in
> > Gnonlin. It was his idea of an NLE.
> > http://gnonlin.sourceforge.net
>
> They know about gnonlin (it's in their doc).
> I think it's a nice project, but keep in mind that lots of people
> already had that idea (including me), and I can assure you that
> gstreamer is far from usable for a NLE (contrary to what's assumed in
> your project description).

  We took that into account, we will of course help debug gstreamer as
we go along. Furthermore, we have still to specify 'exactly' what we
want for within 12 months.

> If you are prepared to invest loads of time and effort into improving
> and stabilizing the core (I have to precise ideas on what should be
> done, but I dunno if they're still valid - Benj did some work
> recently) then your project can be done in a reasonable timeframe. But
> don't expect gstreamer to be video+effects+encode ready soon
> otherwise.

  It is our intent to have at least one or two member of our team
working almost exclusively on the GStreamer part (debugging/creating
plugins, debuging core). We feel it's the least we can do considering
the amount of work you guys have already done...

> Good luck,

  Thanks :)

    Edward