[gst-devel] Entry points for new media hackers

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller uraeus at gnome.org
Fri Dec 19 06:01:00 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 11:41, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> > > Well, we have ALSA (0.9) and OSS, that's more than ACME,
> > > gnome-volume-applet of gmix ever had. We hope to have a Solaris plugin
> > > some day, too.
> > Heh? ACME has OSS and ALSA as well, my man.
>
> Funny. Why didn't Gnome volume control have this (ALSA-0.9, that is)?
> That surprised me a bit... Anyway, I hope you like the current stuff.
> Let me know if something's flawed. :).

This is one of the reasons I really love the new mixer stuff, it lets us
remove a lot of code from different places in the desktop and unify it
in one place so that when Solaris supports gets added for instance it
only needs to be added one place in the system.

To me this is a prime example of why libraries are good in general as
opposed to dependency free applications :)

Question is if there should be some kind of correspondence between this
and the gconf key. At first I thought so, but now I can't think of
anyone but a developer who would want to override the autodetect stuff
by setting a gconf key.

Christian