[gst-devel] Updating manpages

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Sun Dec 21 02:52:45 CET 2003

Hi people,
I'm currently looking into updating manpages. and making them a little
bit more newb-friendly. I'll try to revise everything I feel competent
enough about, and also mark it with correct release number (0.7.3)[1].
Also, I'm giving a spin to DocLifter (http://www.catb.org/~esr/doclifter/),
and desirably I'll convert all manpages templates to DocBook[2][3] source.
Discussed this with Thomas, he didn't seem to object, so if anybody feels
like not doing that, please stand up.

This one goes mostly to Benjamin:
Current version of gst-launch manpage describes syntax for specifying
range and list type filtered caps, however running example pipeline
clearly shows it doesn't work. So, should I leave it as is, and mark it
doesn't work atm (may be confusing), remove, or maybe it's just horribly
wrong and syntax is different?

Cheers, Maciej

[1] It would be nice if all of our docs would be ultimately marked this
way, there aren't many things more annoying than widely used framework
requiring users to do 'cvs co' just to check docs mtimes.
[2] Random idea - it may be fancy to use them as quickreference cards if
output in some printer-friendly format. So _if_ I ever get to learn
DocBook, I might give it a try.
[3] Anybody succesful with doing on-the-fly DocBook to XHTML transform
in Mozilla? Specifying xsl stylesheet works fine w/ xsltproc, but Gecko
is doing strange things.
--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"
   Maciej Katafiasz <mnews2 at wp.pl>