[gst-devel] cleaning up of CVSROOT

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Sun Dec 21 10:19:02 CET 2003

El dom, 21-12-2003 a las 13:27, Mathrick escribió:
> W liście z nie, 21-12-2003, godz. 12:41, Ronald Bultje pisze:
> > On Sun, 2003-12-21 at 11:00, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > so, I want to do some simple clean-ups of our CVSROOT.
> > [..]
> > > a) create a "basement" directory
> > > b) move all of the old stuff there that isn't worth checking out for
> > > regular usage, but might somehow be interesting.
> >
> > This doesn't need CVSROOT action? This cna be done through usual
> > commits, too. The advantage is that the history stays the same, so
> > nothing will break. And if I ever want to look at "back then", it's
> > still where it used to be.
>
> Does CVS allow to keep history of moved / renamed stuff? This was always
> one of the main annoyances with CVS, I'd be surprised if that have
> changed. Or I may be wrong, and you really meant commits like "removed
> gst/foo, added basement/foo", I will shut up at once then ;).

Ronald, it's more about on the one hand moving stuff that was just
imported wrongly into CVS for whatever reason; wrong location, moved a
long time ago, and so on.  What I want to do is just move them to a
different subtree inside a new directory in cvs that makes it clear that
it is old stuff that we don't use.  It also means we get rid of some
empty dirs we don't really need anymore.

Don't worry, it's simple housekeeping which we never could do on SF
since you can't directly access the CVSROOT there.  It doesn't lose any
files, it preserves all history, and so on.  That was the whole point :)

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
I was about to have my first sexual experience
and I wasn't even one of the players...