[gst-devel] Sending EOS into continuous sources

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Dec 22 08:59:02 CET 2003

Hi Benjamin & *,

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 01:58, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Sending an event up/downstream either works for every element or for
> none.
> I think we'll need a way to tell upstream to stop sooner or later, as tag
> readers need this, too.
>
> No idea on how to do that though...

on IRC, I got the feeling that most people seem to want to use a
managing bin for this. The idea is simple: make a bin that contains one
element by itself (kind of like spider/spideridentity), and allows one
element to be added to it. This can be through public API or through a
property, I don't care much.

The layout is like this:

|----managing bin----
= element ! my_stop =
|--------------------

= are ghost pads. element gives buffers into my_stop. my_stop allows to
send in EOS (or 'end time', or ...) events into its src pad, and will
then emit EOS to the next element connected to its source pad. through
some hack, it will also let managing_bin emit EOS. if element is its own
bin with a ghost pad, this allows for a whole pipeline to be set to EOS
this way, which is exactly what I'd need for simple sample display
(think SEEK_SEGMENT) in gnonlin. :).

Comments? Improvements? Flames? Does this belong in core, plugins or
gst-rec?

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer