[gst-devel] Notes about docs/random/negotiation

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Tue Dec 30 11:22:07 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 01:50:07PM +0100, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Anyway, you need to modify the element anyway and need to add a
> get_caps functions you can then use gst_pad_renegotiate anyway.
> The only place where gst_pad_try_set_caps would be useful IMO is for
> proxying.

It necessary for proxying.  Many of our elements (colorspace,
filters, etc.) proxy caps while modifying one or more parameter.
In the pipeline videotestsrc ! colorspace ! ximagesink, there's
no way to decide on a size and framerate except by the colorspace
element using try_set_caps().  If it doesn't use try_set_caps(),
each link sees the _possibility_ of setting any size on the
colorspace, and having no mechanism to come to an agreement with
the other link.

dave...