[gst-devel] problems compiling mad gst-plugin

J. Gardner Biggs gardnerbiggs at houston.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 11:24:05 CET 2003

I am trying to install the mad mp3 decoder plugin for gstreamer-0.6.0
and I am getting this error (taken from config.log) during the
./configure process, and thus the mad plugin is not installing:

configure:20429: checking for mad_decoder_finish in -lmad
configure:20462: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lmad   >&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmad
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:20465: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 20436 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
   builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char mad_decoder_finish ();
#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
mad_decoder_finish ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:20482: result: no
configure:20576: These plugins will not be built: mad

My system particulars are:

RedHat 8.0
gnome 2.2 installed to $HOME/garnome-0.21.2
PKG_CONFIG_PATH set to $HOME/garnome-0.21.2/lib/pkgconfig in my
environment variables for the garnome session.

I believe my problem is that I don't have the some mad-devel package
installed, but I cant for the life of me find one.

any suggestions on what i need to get the mad gst-plugin to compile and
install will be much appreciated.

Thanks