[gst-devel] Re: gst-player and hermes

Dennis Heuer dh at onclick.org
Sat Feb 22 11:26:11 CET 2003

Dear Christian

Thanks for your answer.

I understand that you want to base your code on external libraries. This is not what I criticize. You wrote:

As distributions start to include GStreamer they will also ship most of
these needed 3rd party libraries which will relieve you of the trouble
of having to install them togheter with GStreamer.

This, _fortunately_, is not true in my case since I love to install my system manually from source. So, I am not only bored from installing many packages (which is true but I can cope with that) but I have discussed with myself many times what to install and what not. This is why I awaited gst-player, for an example. I do not have Xine or such on my newly installed system and couldn't listen to my oggs for weeks now. But, I decided to not install something I don't want if something better for my case is possibly coming up soon.

People who depend on distros may install whatever their distroa prefer without asking or even thinking about that. I don't think that this is the way to go. We should discuss dependencies over and over. The point is that there are core dependencies and, besides that, there are a lot of optional dependencies. I just care about the core dependencies - as long as the optional dependencies are really optional. You already seem to solve the problem with that core dependency Hermes. Hermes is not really a core application on linux systems and thus should not be a core dependency for gst-player. On the other hand, if you keep optional dependencies really optional, then have as many dependencies you want. I will not care since I will skip these options at installation time.

This is all I fight for ;)

Greetings
Dennis