[gst-devel] gstvideowidget <=> xvideosink and events ...

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Jan 9 05:53:02 CET 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Julien MOUTTE wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm on my way to catch some mouse motion events over the video playback in gst-player. I realized that the video plays in a gtk_socket plugged xwindow. This is fine...
>
> Where i have a problem is that connecting event mask on this gtk_socket trough :
>
> i don't receive any events...
>
> This could be explained by the fact that the embedded xwindow receives the events from mouse but do not forward them according to the XEmbed protocol from freedesktop.org...
>
> EXTRACT FROM : http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xembed/html/issues.html

The XVideosink is just a simple X Window and nothing else. It's (imho)
just an ugly hack to get video displayed as easy as possible. So until X
implements the XEMBED protocol natively there will be nothing like this
working.

That was one of the reasons I wanted to work on a Gtk Widget that
encapsules XVideo and works as a plugin for GStreamer. Starting code
of that was/is in the Player and is _very_ ugly (That's why it's not used
anymore ;). Well, I don't still have a very initmate knowledge of X,
XVideo and GDK, so any new try at that would probably be ugly still.

So in short:
- You will probably have a hard time catching events from that
plugged in video window.
- The best way to get around this and sometyhing I would very much
appreciate would be a GtkWidget / GstPlugin with XVideosink features.

Company