[gst-devel] avifile and 0.5.1

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sun Jan 12 15:41:09 CET 2003

Hi Louis,

On Sat, 2003-01-11 at 02:19, Louis Garcia wrote:
> ffmpeg is going to replace avifile soon. How about mpeg2dec? Am I to
> understand the gstreamer is going to abandon the helper files and
> develop plugins in-house? Or is this just for avifile? The output of
> gst-inspect ffmpeg shows many formats supported.

Just for avifile. mpeg2dec is a high-quality MPEG encoder that ffmpeg
can't compare with (imho). avifile is just a wrapper around ffmpeg,
libdv and some windows .DLL files, and since we only care about the
ffmpeg capabilities here (libdv is already included anyway), we don't
need the avifile wrapper but can just as well include ffmpeg itself.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer