[gst-devel] streaming over mobile IP and multicast IP

Luis Rodero lrodero at gsyc.escet.urjc.es
Wed Jan 15 01:16:04 CET 2003

Hi,

I belong to the Gsyc research group (Rey Juan Carlos University, Spain),
and we are trying to take some measures of the performance of IP
multicast to handle multimedia streams over mobile networks (mobile IP).
We are using (well, actually, trying tu use ;-) ) Gstreamer to built boh
the sender and receiver.

The 'helloworld' example (gst-launch filesrc location=file.mp3 ! mad !
osssink) works perfectly, but when we use the udp plugins we experience
some troubles.

If we use this (decoding in the receiver):
 sender   -> gst-launch filesrc location=file.mp3 ! udpsink port=7778
 receiver -> gst-launch udpsrc port=7778 ! mad ! osssink
 (ey!, don't laugh! ;-) )
the receiver can not even start to play the song, it seems like the data
travels 'too fast'. No data is lost, as we have introduced some delays
in the udpsink plugin to slow the sending rate, but anyway no sound is
listen. I supposed that queues can handle this kind of problems, so I
add one to the receiver:
 receiver -> gst-launch udpsrc port=7778 ! queue ! mad ! osssink
but then the receiver does not seems even to iterate.

If we use this (decoding in the sender):
 sender   -> gst-launch filesrc location=file.mp3 ! mad ! udpsink
port=7778
 receiver -> gst-launch udpsrc port=7778 ! osssink
the osssink plugin shows the warning message:
 ** (process:594): WARNING **: couldn't set requested OSS parameters,
enjoy the noise :)

Could anyone please help us?. Any info would be appreciated, but I think
that some help about how to use queues properly (I guess we are using
them quite wrongly) would be specially useful for us now and in the
future.

Thanks in advance, best regards,
Luis Rodero Merino

mailto: lrodero at gsyc.escet.urjc.es