[gst-devel] branches

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Jan 22 14:47:03 CET 2003

Hi gang,

a few of us have wondered how to do the branches from here on.

Basically, this is what we want to do:

a) prepare a 0.6.0 release for this weekend, based off of the 0.5.2
release branch, with ONLY bug fixes

b) at some point in the future, allow for bigger changes than bug fixes,
feature additions, and maybe even rewrites

There are, I think, two ways we can do this:

1) branch a 0.6.0 branch off of the current 0.5.2 one.
   after 0.6.0 is out, merge back to HEAD.
   HEAD becomes the "stable" series, only bug fixes allowed
   at some point in the future (but not right now) a 0.7 branch gets
   made in which people can mess up again :)

2) branch 0.6.0 off 0.5.2
   when 0.6.0 is out, update HEAD to 0.7.0.1 and make that the dev series
   right away
   branch a 0.6.x branch off of 0.6.0
   track bug fixes in this branch

Reasons for choosing 1) would be
 - "stable" is the one that people will check out most likely,
   so people get a stable gstreamer and more people are inclined to
   actually use it and fix stuff in it
 - "development" can be a little less strict; tree doesn't need to
   strictly  always work well
 - postponing a dev branch has the bonus of making a merge back easier at
   the end of the stable series

Reasons for choosing 2) would be
 - no need to hold off some development

I'm personally inclined towards 1), because that means people will more
likely make sure stable works well.  I think it's better to keep our good
coders and bugfixers focused on HEAD :)

But what do all of you think ?

I'd like to decide and move on and get going for 0.6.0...

Thomas

- I didn't say I wanted you out of my life.
  It's just...with the ironing, the new mattress,
  they all just seem like things that are a little further
  down the line, that's all.
- Further down the line than all the sex we've been having?
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->