[gst-devel] branches

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Jan 22 15:24:03 CET 2003

On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 11:45:59PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> 1) branch a 0.6.0 branch off of the current 0.5.2 one.
>    after 0.6.0 is out, merge back to HEAD.
>    HEAD becomes the "stable" series, only bug fixes allowed
>    at some point in the future (but not right now) a 0.7 branch gets
>    made in which people can mess up again :)

> I'm personally inclined towards 1), because that means people will more
> likely make sure stable works well.  I think it's better to keep our good
> coders and bugfixers focused on HEAD :)

I agree.  GStreamer is too young to have a bug-fix-only track, as
that would appropriately be called "1.0".  If 0.6 is just a bug-fix
track, how long will it be before it feels old and lacking of
features?  And how long will we be able to resist the urge to
say "Just upgrade to 0.7" to fix a bug or feature request?

However, if we choose to have two branches, I think it is important
to keep API and ABI stability between the branches for as long as
possible.

The release of 0.6.0 would be a good opportunity to fill out our
test suite, so that we can assess whether or not a particular
change causes a regression.  (And assign a "2 test writing"
penalty for those who cause regressions.)

dave...