[gst-devel] error handling in gstreamer

Joshua N Pritikin vishnu at pobox.com
Sun Jun 1 08:07:01 CEST 2003

On Sat, May 31, 2003 at 03:56:20PM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> While testing this, it pointed out a very obvious problem.  I selected
> "chart" from the menu of vis stuff, set to play, and got the error
> "could not negotiate format".
>
> Now, if a user sees that, I don't really know what he is supposed to do
> :)

Yah, this has been bugging me for over a year.  i wanted to add better
error reported to the core but Wim (& Eric) were thinking about
embedded devices and didn't want to add any extra size to the binary.
Or maybe i didn't communicate very well.  Anyway, i wasn't able to
make many changes to improve the situation.

> What the error message SHOULD say is something like "vorbisfile: could
> not connect stereo to mono between vorbisfile and chart", or something
> to that effect.  That would be a useful error message because it can be
> reported back to us for fixing.

Yah, and that's something that i believe could be completely generated
by the core caps nego code.

> gst_pad_try_set_caps doesn't offer any clue on why it failed.  It should
> somehow be able to tell us that it failed because it can't link stereo
> to mono.  One possible way of doing this is have a new function (e.g.
> gst_pad_try_set_caps_error (pad, caps, error)), where error offers some
> indication of what went wrong (what error is exactly is to be
> discussed).

> Thoughts, comments, ... ? :)

Yes please!

--
Victory to the Divine Mother!!         after all,
  http://sahajayoga.org                  http://why-compete.org