[gst-devel] debug

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Wed Jun 25 15:54:06 CEST 2003

Looks like a lot of good work, thanks for that.

Three remarks on my side;

a) I find GST_DEBUG_DEBUG a bad name, and I also think
GST_DEBUG_COLOR_RED against GST_DEBUG_BACKGROUND_RED is strange.
For the second, maybe COLOR_FG_RED and COLOR_BG_RED would be a solution.

b) It looks like this will break compatibility between 0.7 and 0.6
completely.  Some people might think this is not a big deal, but I
happen to think it is.  Some reasons for that are:
- it is getting increasingly harder to backport fixes from HEAD to 0.6;
when this is hard because of actual functional changes between the code,
it is OK to me.  When this is hard because of (very much needed but
still) cosmetical changes, this is slightly more painful.

What I would like to know if it is somehow possible to, for 0.6, map all
these new functions to one general old-school DEBUG category, so that
these messages still get shown.  All I would want is for this change to
not force both branches completely out of sync.

What would be the best way to do that here ?

Other than that, nice work.  Maybe you should put online a sample of
debug info so we can see the effect.  I'm guessing especially Wim has
opininions about the result since he's the one that's best at actually
reading the damned logs and fixing bugs because of it :)

Thomas

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 03:55, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> If anyone still has comments about what to do better or questions on
> design issues with the debugging stuff, then go ahead.
>
> I'm going to put that stuff in soon if noone sees problems and it's a big
> diff.
>
> Attached are the docs that describe the debugging system.
>

> Benjamin
>

> PS: Getting the docs to build is a nightmare.
> PPS: Thomas is evil. He deletes files on my hd ;)

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
Are you happy where you're sleeping ?
Does he keep you safe and warm ?
Does he tell you when you're sorry ?