[gst-devel] last chance for comments

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Jun 25 23:24:01 CEST 2003

Hey Thomas,

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 23:09, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> b) It looks like this will break compatibility between 0.7 and 0.6
> completely.  Some people might think this is not a big deal, but I
> happen to think it is.  Some reasons for that are:
> - it is getting increasingly harder to backport fixes from HEAD to 0.6;
> when this is hard because of actual functional changes between the code,
> it is OK to me.  When this is hard because of (very much needed but
> still) cosmetical changes, this is slightly more painful.

Well, we knew that was going to happen. I see it as evolution. We're
changing things to perfectize everything. I agree with Benjamin that we
shouldn't bother ourselves with backwards compatibility right now, we've
got better things to worry about. Besides, this only affects plugins
anyway, mostly - apps don't use these things anyway. And there's really
not that many externally-developed plugins, currently. I can't name a
single one.

After 1.0, we'll bother with all these kind of horrible things such as
backwards compatibility. As long as we're pre-1.0, I'd vote for simply
making a document somewhere that explains a quick'n'short "how to port
your plugin/app from 0.6 to 0.7".

GST_DEBUG -> GST_DEBUG_*
audio/raw -> audio/x-raw-int
[some more stuff]