[gst-devel] Performance problem

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jun 25 18:12:11 CEST 2003

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, Sylvain Joyeux wrote:

> I'm using the debian packages of gstreamer 0.6.2. I tried a simple
>   gst-launch filesrc location=somefile.mp3 ! spider ! artsdsink
>
> I was surprised that it gstreamer eats 10% cpu on a pentium 4 1.7GHz. Is it
> a known issue ? Is there any way to know where is the problem without
> recompiling the library ?

Decoding the mp3 with the mad mp3 library takes around 4% (try madplay),
which is exactly the load I get with gst-launch and osssink, too.
Perhaps it is a problem with arts?
I don't know of anyone having done performance analysis of our code.

> I'm also begginning to develop an application using gstreamer for audio &
> video filtering. I'd like to know if it would be better if I use the CVS,
> or if I can use 0.6 ?

There is currently no roadmap when 0.7 will become the next stable version
or when we are going to do pre-releases. So you're developing against a
CVS version for now. Marlin is such an application.
The CVS version has a lot of neat additions and I would consider it more
stable and less buggy. So apart from that problem with releases and the
fact that CVS might have some incompatible changes now and then, I'd
deffinitely use it.

Benjamin