[gst-devel] New policy needed for 0.6.1

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Sat Mar 29 09:19:15 CET 2003

> Hi team,
> Well a long time has gone by now and I feel we are getting no closer to
> actually doing a 0.6.1 release. I am starting to feel that the two
> branch approach was a mistake and that we should cut 0.6.1 from head
> instead. There might be some minor API changes by this approach, but I
> think being able to deliver releases on a steady basis is more important
> for us at this point in time than supporting API's that we think are
> wrong.
>
> Any objections?

Yes, of course.  First of all, whether or not we are doing a 0.6.1 release
has nothing to do with the two branches.

Second, doing a 0.6.1 off of HEAD would be crazy - no way in hell are we
able to ensure, with our current testing, that it is even remotely
functionally compatible with 0.6.0

The only thing that needs to be done is simply review Ronald's and
Benjamin's mails, apply patch by patch what they suggested if nobody was
against them, and add EACH bug number + link to patch to the changelog so
that it is CRYSTAL CLEAR what we fixed in this branch.

I see no good reason at all to suddenly throw out everything we already
agreed on.  The only reason patches aren't getting applied is because
nobody is doing it.  I plan on doing it at the first amount of free time I
have.

But really, doing a release from HEAD is the insanest thing to do at this
point.

Thomas

I never felt so out of control
You don't even know what you're doing to me
Come on and do it to me
don't you stop
<-*- thomas  (at) apestaart (dot) org -*->