[gst-devel] New policy needed for 0.6.1

Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller Uraeus at linuxrising.org
Sat Mar 29 09:25:20 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-03-29 at 18:18, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Hi team,
> > Well a long time has gone by now and I feel we are getting no closer to
> > actually doing a 0.6.1 release. I am starting to feel that the two
> > branch approach was a mistake and that we should cut 0.6.1 from head
> > instead. There might be some minor API changes by this approach, but I
> > think being able to deliver releases on a steady basis is more important
> > for us at this point in time than supporting API's that we think are
> > wrong.
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> Yes, of course.  First of all, whether or not we are doing a 0.6.1 release
> has nothing to do with the two branches.
It very much has to, cause it creates an additional job of reviewing patches to put onto
the branch.

> Second, doing a 0.6.1 off of HEAD would be crazy - no way in hell are we
> able to ensure, with our current testing, that it is even remotely
> functionally compatible with 0.6.0
We would be able to ensure that nautilus-media and gnome-media continues to work,
and that is what GNOME needs from us.

> The only thing that needs to be done is simply review Ronald's and
> Benjamin's mails, apply patch by patch what they suggested if nobody was
> against them, and add EACH bug number + link to patch to the changelog so
> that it is CRYSTAL CLEAR what we fixed in this branch.
No, Ronalds and Benjamins lists are a good start, but there are other patches we want
into the branch too.

> I see no good reason at all to suddenly throw out everything we already
> agreed on.  The only reason patches aren't getting applied is because
> nobody is doing it.  I plan on doing it at the first amount of free time I
> have.
Well this is why I feel the branching is bad, it adds a lot of extra work which
someone has to do, and when nobody has time and/or want to do that extra
work we don't get new releases made.

> But really, doing a release from HEAD is the insanest thing to do at this
> point.
Why it worked well enough up to 0.6 so I don't see why we would have bigger problems now.
And as for API breakage issues, well I do not know of any work being
done atm which would cause significant API breakage, and no API breaking
work that has a huge impact on gnome-media and nautilus-media.

Christian
--
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <Uraeus at linuxrising.org>