[gst-devel] New policy needed for 0.6.1

Tim Jansen ml at tjansen.de
Sat Mar 29 10:48:10 CET 2003

On Saturday 29 March 2003 12:41, Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller wrote:
> actually doing a 0.6.1 release. I am starting to feel that the two
> branch approach was a mistake and that we should cut 0.6.1 from head
> instead. There might be some minor API changes by this approach, but I
> think being able to deliver releases on a steady basis is more important
> for us at this point in time than supporting API's that we think are
> wrong.

If the KDE wrappers would be stable this would be a problem for me. It has
been said that the 0.6.x series is binary compatible, so the scripts of the
wrappers accept all 0.6.x versions. A BIC change in 0.6 would break it. Even
worse would it be if the change would prevent me from keeping binary
compatbility at th KDE API level. Then KDE would not be able to update
GStreamer anymore, until the next major version.

Right now I don't care, since it's in kdenonbeta. I can break compatibility
anytime I want to. And, of course, I don't need to guarantee binary
compatibility at the GStreamer API level and I can require a specific
GStreamer version that is known to work.
And, BTW, you should then rename the pkg-config modules to have the complete
version (e.g. gstreamer-libs-0.6 -> gstreamer-libs-0.6.1), because it may be
required to have parallel installations of two 0.6.x versions for KDE and
Gnome.

bye...