[gst-devel] subtitle elements

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu May 15 18:45:03 CEST 2003

On 14 May 2003, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

>   So, I think it makes more sense to have subtitle detection by content,
> and in the subtitle parser element itself, instead of spreading the
> details of subtitle detection along multiple elements.

You will probably have found out about the wonders of typefinding already
from Thomas' typefinding function, but just FYI:
Gstreamer has an architecture that does lookup types of files by content.
If you want to add another identifier, it is really just a simple
function.
However it is _very_ important that the typefinding function never ever
detects a wrong type as its own. We had a lot of issues with that.
Better do too much checks than too little.

>   Also, answering Ronald's subsequent email, I think it makes more sense
> to keep all subtitle parsers in the same element, otherwise it leads to
> a duplication of code.  You'll notice that subtitle parsing is fairly
> simple.

I'd vote for subclassing, too. It makes the code easier to read if it's
seperated and we want to have lots of little plugins, that do one thing
and do it right instead of something like mplayer ;)