[gst-devel] subtitle elements

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at urgent.rug.ac.be
Fri May 16 03:29:04 CEST 2003

> >   Also, answering Ronald's subsequent email, I think it makes more sense
> > to keep all subtitle parsers in the same element, otherwise it leads to
> > a duplication of code.  You'll notice that subtitle parsing is fairly
> > simple.
> >
> I'd vote for subclassing, too. It makes the code easier to read if it's
> seperated and we want to have lots of little plugins, that do one thing
> and do it right instead of something like mplayer ;)

IMO subclassing in this case doesn't really offer anything at all, and
just makes things more complex.  It's like subclassing mad for layer 1,
2 and 3 - why do it if the code just handles all of them correctly
without any duplication ?

the two subparsing elements really only have about ten lines of code
that are format-specific.  I'm pretty sure subclassing would end up
making the code bigger, not smaller.

What would be VERY nice though is that someone actually implements
subclassing somewhere somehow to show us how it's supposed to be done
(preferably on another element :)).  It's nice that everybody always
says "we should subclass" but it would be better if we had a concrete
example we could discuss.

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
You came in just like smoke