[gst-devel] libtool requirement for plugins

Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com
Mon May 26 01:33:08 CEST 2003

> From: Benjamin Otte [mailto:in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de]
> On Fri, 23 May 2003 Murray.Cumming at Comneon.com wrote:
>
> > > From: Benjamin Otte [mailto:in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de]
> > > Using libtool < 1.5 requires you to figure out the C++
> > > specific compiler
> > > flags in configure. With the old libtool they are
> hardcoded into the
> > > Makefile and every C++ plugin wass linked with -lstdc++
> >
> > I've heard about this before from Thomas, I think. I have
> no idea why you
> > have to specify -lstdc++ manually. I've never done it for
> any C++ library.
> > gtkmm works on gcc and Forte, by they way.
> >
> I wanted to talk to you about that but you weren't on IRC.
> I read the tutorial on your webpage and tried to do it that way but
> that issue doesn't come up there.
> I made the Makefile.am look like this:
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gstreamer/gst-p

lugins/gst/modplug/Makefile.am?rev=1.15&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
> After I built this thing with gcc and stock libtool < 1.5 the resulting
> .so is not linked against libstdc++. This is not a problem if you use that
> lib only in C++ programs because they link against libstdc++ by themselves
> so you don't get the "unresolved symbols" in your app. As a gst plugin it
> fails however because nothing else links against libstdc++.

OK, now I understand. I have never tried to use a C++-implemented library
from a C application.

If it helps, I think Nautilus or gnome-vfs depends on FAM, which is a C++
library. It might give clues.

Murray Cumming
murrayc at usa.net
www.murrayc.com