[gst-devel] cvs use

iain iain at prettypeople.org
Mon Nov 3 06:39:22 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:59, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> I can tell you *right now* that the main reason I'm not developing
> against HEAD at this point is because it's impossible to even *get it
> compiled*, let alone run it.  What good is it to try to get people
> interested in developing against a library that says it's ok to break
> compilation for three days without any warning whatsoever ?

This argument seems to be rather...iffy.
You're not developing against HEAD *right now* because its been broken
for 3 days, which would imply that you were developing against HEAD 4
days ago when it has compiled nearly flawlessly for months. It hasn't
worked very well, but it has compiled.

As for my opinion, I think that breaking HEAD was the only way this work
would have got done, it would have languished on a branch, no-one would
have tested it, no-one would have helped port the plugins, which would
have taken one person a much longer time than 3 days. Typefinding was
done on a branch, hands up if who tested it.

iain
--
"There is no such thing as conversation.
 There are intersecting monologues, that is all" - Rebecca West