[gst-devel] cvs use

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Mon Nov 3 08:16:27 CET 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> I can tell you *right now* that the main reason I'm not developing
> against HEAD at this point is because it's impossible to even *get it
> compiled*, let alone run it.  What good is it to try to get people
> interested in developing against a library that says it's ok to break
> compilation for three days without any warning whatsoever ?

If you're an application developer (like the Rhythmbox guys or Julien
doing the player, that's absolutely ok.
They're supposed to use the stable branch anyway.
If you're a GStreamer developer you are supposed to run that broken thing
as your main multimedia framework and fix every bug you find (or make
someone fix that bug). That's btw what I'm doing since I started
developing. I'm fixing all the bugs everyone introduces so I can listen to
my songs in Rhythmbox and watch videos with gst-player or at least
gst-launch.
And this works here. Right now.

Benjamin

PS: compilation was/is broken anyway for ages and it's not me. But I
guess nobody knows because she doesn't use PPC and have ffmpeg barf on
her. So I don't think I should feel guilty for breaking it a little more.

PPS: How's your error branch going?