[gst-devel] queued pipeline

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Tue Nov 11 12:17:06 CET 2003

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Colin Walters wrote:

> But as you can see it doesn't really work at all at the moment.  Does
> anyone have any idea of how hard it would be to make it work?  If we
> could use two threads, I think it would go a long way towards fixing
> Rhythmbox's skipping problems...

Since Rhythmbox isn't really a low-latency app, why not just use one
thread, put the spider inside the thread, and make the queue really
large ?

  { src ! spider ! queue } ! volume ! sink

I've tried this on my box (which has the world's worst hard drive +
sound card combination, skips every time I switch applications) and it
works well at the cost of increasing the output latency.

Also, have you tried putting the spider inside the first thread in your
example ?

Maybe I'm completely missing the point, but from what Benjamin has said
it sounds like events that cross a thread boundary are basically not
trustable.

leif

--
Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/