[gst-devel] queued pipeline

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Wed Nov 12 07:37:16 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 15:15, Leif Johnson wrote:

> Since Rhythmbox isn't really a low-latency app, why not just use one
> thread, put the spider inside the thread, and make the queue really
> large ?
>
>   { src ! spider ! queue } ! volume ! sink
>
> I've tried this on my box (which has the world's worst hard drive +
> sound card combination, skips every time I switch applications) and it
> works well at the cost of increasing the output latency.

I don't like the idea of increasing the output latency.  People already
complain that it takes too long.

> Also, have you tried putting the spider inside the first thread in your
> example ?

That does work if I run it from gst-launch.  However, if I try to
actually wait until the queue is full before playing the full pipeline,
GStreamer doesn't like that at all.

> Maybe I'm completely missing the point, but from what Benjamin has said
> it sounds like events that cross a thread boundary are basically not
> trustable.

For now it sounds like that is the case, but Benjamin was saying that
fixing this was a post-0.8 goal.