[gst-devel] URI managing

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Nov 13 16:23:12 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 23:32, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> attached is a rewrite of URI managing, including implementation of it for
> filesrc and filesink and making gst-launch accept URIs.
> Try gst-launch file://from ! file://to :)
> or even the shorter gst-launch ./from ! ./to

I'm not sure why we want to overload the already complex pipeline syntax
(from the last example I'm guessing you treat "anything containing /" as
files that need to get plugins thrown at them)

> Reason for that is that you should be able to add any file regardless of
> gnome-vfs support to gst-player.
> it would be a shame if someone wrote a mms:// plugin but gst-player
> couldn't use it.

Personally, I feel that parsing of URI's ought to be done by something
inside the player or a helper lib, not in the launch parsing.  The only
reason gst-player uses gnomevfs at this point is because we don't have
anything else anyway :) So when the day comes that someone writes an
mms:// plugin, I'm sure we can come up with a decent way of making sure
the player understands it.  I'm not convinced though that overloading
the syntax of launch pipelines is the way to do that...

Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
Get a fella's motor running, let the tension
marinate a couple of days, then BAM !
You crown yourself the ice queen.
URGent, best radio on the net - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/