[gst-devel] URI managing

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Nov 14 00:29:08 CET 2003

Hi Thomas & Benjamin,

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 01:22, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Personally, I feel that parsing of URI's ought to be done by something
> inside the player or a helper lib, not in the launch parsing.  The only
> reason gst-player uses gnomevfs at this point is because we don't have
> anything else anyway :) So when the day comes that someone writes an
> mms:// plugin, I'm sure we can come up with a decent way of making sure
> the player understands it.  I'm not convinced though that overloading
> the syntax of launch pipelines is the way to do that...

Well, actually, it's not done in the -launch syntax, that's just a way
of accessing this feature. The URI thing - as I can see from the patch -
is simply a GstElementClass feature. It's pretty much what I had in mind
too. This allows for great things, like accessing each of the GnomeVFS
URI thingies in the GnomeVFS plugins, by simply mapping each GnomeVFS
URI type to a GStreamer URI type in the class_init() function. I think
it looks interesting. And definately good enough for a generic
core-based solution, imo.

Benjamin, what should happen if >1 plugin register the same URI type?
This is definately a risk if we start implementing things like GnomeVFS
URI mapping etc. Will we use the element's priority to find the
best-suited one?

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer