[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] dolphy gst-plugins: gst-plugins/gst-libs/gst/videooverlay/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Nov 17 02:16:25 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 10:45, Julien MOUTTE wrote:
> 1) xoverlay is not giving you the geometry of the video so from what i
> ve seen you are creating a child window in the given xid and set it to
> the video size. That's ugly many app will want to keep their size and be
> able to choose. They will want to know the video geometry to ensure
> ratio too.

Ok, so that could be added.

> 2) xoverlay is forcing you to create a window and then give it to the
> plugin. I want to keep the possibility of having a kind of "have_xid"
> signal letting you wait for the video sink created window.

I consider the "wait for have_xid to decide whether we use viz. or
video" a cruel hack, actually. Why don't you create an "inverse tee"
plugin that does this? Then, you only need one xvideosink (or whichever)
in the player.

> That's enough for now.

Fine, we'll see what happens. ;).

One thing: given that I'll use this API a lot, too, I'd like a voice in
the final decision.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer