[gst-devel] Patch: add xid property to xvideosink

Anthony Green green at spindazzle.org
Tue Nov 18 13:43:07 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 07:57, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi Anthony,
>
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 16:06, Anthony Green wrote:
> > I don't.  This is just a side effect of adding the xid property to
> > xvideosink.  I really just want to specify it in xml pipeline
> > descriptions I will feed to gstreamer.
>
> But you can't! The XID of a window is always different per session.

I'm using the XML representation as an interprocess protocol, not for
persistance, so it's perfectly valid concept.  The XID of the target
window is naturally a component of the redering pipeline, so being able
to (optionally) describe it in XML form along with the other element
properties makes perfect sense.

Just to be perfectly clear, all of the media processing/rendering is
being done out of process with the rest of my application.  I intend to
launch a rendering engine and feed it gstreamer XML describing what
needs doing.  I also need to tell it which window (possibly changing) to
render into for each stream.  The natural place for this is within the
XML itself as a property of the xvideosink element.

> > BTW, what does "overlay" mean in this context.  In the future, will I be
> > creating xoverlays instead of xvideosinks?
>
> No. Overlay is "putting video on the desktop. It's just a name. You'll
> always create elements (e.g. xvideosink), and you know want an element
> that implements the xoverlay interface.

Ok thanks for explaining this.

AG