[gst-devel] Patch: add xid property to xvideosink

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Tue Nov 18 12:36:09 CET 2003

Hi Anthony,

On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 16:06, Anthony Green wrote:
> I don't.  This is just a side effect of adding the xid property to
> xvideosink.  I really just want to specify it in xml pipeline
> descriptions I will feed to gstreamer.

But you can't! The XID of a window is always different per session. so
unless you're doing something really weird (which would be horror on
itself), this won't work.

> > You'll be able to call gst_xoverlay_set_xwindow_id (GstElement *element,
> > XID id);. That's all needed to get the same functionality.
>
> I suppose so, but it would be more convenient to be able to set this as
> an element property.  I'm not sure why you would want to treat it
> differently.

Properties don't have type-checking, and properties are merely meant as
user-settable things. ID is purely programmatically interesting, the end
user cannot use it, so it shouldn't be a property.

> BTW, what does "overlay" mean in this context.  In the future, will I be
> creating xoverlays instead of xvideosinks?

No. Overlay is "putting video on the desktop. It's just a name. You'll
always create elements (e.g. xvideosink), and you know want an element
that implements the xoverlay interface. In the future, we might make a
function to get the "best element" that implements a given interface.
However, we don't have that yet.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer