[gst-devel] Patch: add xid property to xvideosink

Tom Tromey tromey at peakpeak.com
Tue Nov 18 23:36:08 CET 2003

>>>>> "Ronald" == Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net> writes:

Ronald> Only for properties that are actually user-settable
Ronald> things. XID is a programmatic thing. Showing it to the user is
Ronald> as stupid as asking the user for its processor serial number
Ronald> when booting the computer. The user shouldn't see it. Not even
Ronald> via a property.

In this case, it isn't a user who is seeing it, it is a program.  Like
Anthony said, we'd like to have gstreamer be out-of-process, and use
XML to drive it.  In order for this to work, we'll need some way to
tell xvideosink where to put its window.

To give a somewhat bigger perspective, we're writing an eclipse
plugin.  Eclipse is a pretty complicated Java program.  To us it looks
a lot simpler to have gstreamer be external to it.  For one thing, it
makes debugging any gstreamer problems much easier, since we can just
dump the XML and run gstreamer by hand.  Also, we don't have to worry
about writing Java bindings, or about debugging possible runtime
clashes between gstreamer and whatever horrible things a closed source
JVM might do.

Tom