[gst-devel] [ANN] first Moosak alpha (version 0.1.0) released

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Oct 1 05:13:05 CEST 2003

Hey Leif,

I tried it quickly.  Yeah, it needs a build/package set up :)

I did have to tweak some stuff, however.  One problem is one I run into
for my python apps as well; since gstreamer does a require on pygtk-2.0
or something, gstreamer stuff needs to be imported before gtk stuff.
I'm not sure why this is, maybe David can shed some light on this, but
it's annoying.  So I wonder why you don't run into that.

Secondly, I suppose gnome.applet only recently acquired symbols like
ORIENT_UP - is there any way to detect and require minimal versions of
python bindings ?

Thirdly, there was gtk.Label set without a label title at all, which
asserts for me.  How come it doesn't do that for you ? It shouldn't even
run that way :)

Fourth, when opening the playlist window, when trying to add new files,
it didn't do anything for me.

Also, here are two hints for debugging bonobo stuff (maybe you already
know, but I'm telling you in case you didn't because it helped me):
a) run the server binary from the command line to get all of the output
before actually adding it to your panel
b) it's very helpful to separate out the actual work code into one
binary so that you can run the complete app without having to go through
the panel/bonobo to test it.

Since I'm working on something gst-python'ish myself, I'm interested in
helping out with a build/package set up so people can more easily test
it.

As for the GUI, have you ever tried quark ? It had only one small icon,
and it worked really well.  Scrolling with the mouse button made it skip
to previous or next song, leftclick did play/pause, and you could also
get a drop down menu with the other functions.  I think moosak would be
better with the same UI - it shouldn't take up that much space IMO.  But
that's just my opinion.

Keep up the great work, I hope we can push this out to a wider audience
soon !

Thomas