[gst-devel] DTCP plugin.

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Oct 1 08:20:14 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 04:13, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> not that I know of.  What is it ? Can you give us more info ? Are you
> interested in doing it yourself ?

This is more popularly known as 5C, the encryption that will be used on
firewire devices.  So the idea is that your DVD player can talk to your
TV without letting your computer get in the middle and store it on a
hard drive.

For the most part - it's kinda like macrovision - they want something
that you have to go to some effort to remove, and thus most people won't
go to that effort.  I don't know about how caught up in licensing it is,
but I think the main point is that you get a license, and that gives you
a key set that is valid.  I doubt they will ever grant a key to the FSF
:)  As far as the encryption itself goes, it's an eliptical key
encryption.

Again, I haven't read the legal mumbo jumbo - but it seems like having a
plug-in wouldn't be as big a deal as getting keys would.

		--Ted