[gst-devel] some queue advice

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Oct 1 06:14:05 CEST 2003

Hi Ramon,

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 10:58, Ramón García wrote:
> I do not think that this problem can be solved without
> modifying the adder mixer so that one can add new
> streams without issuing a state change. Threads will
> not solve the problem. Even if you put part of the
> pipeline inside a thread, state change events will
> reach inside the thread.

Hm.  why do you think this can only be solved in a way that adder does
not need to issue a state change ? AFAIK it was a design choice that
pipelines cannot be modified in PLAYING state.

> For other reasons, the bin that fetches each stream of
> data from the network and decodes it should run in a
> different thread. Otherwise, a slow network connection
> would block all other connections. The locks that you
> experience means that gnomevfssrc should be fixed. It
> should implement the release_locks function. This is a
> member of the GstElementClass, so it should be set in
> the class_init(). When that function is invoked, any
> select/poll() waiting for the network should be
> interrupted.

I'm not experiencing any locks at all.  I'm reading from disk, btw.

Thanks
Thomas

Dave/Dina : future TV today ! - http://davedina.apestaart.org/
Don't shut your eyes just yet
Don't even open your mouth just yet
Because there's things you've got to see
There's things you won't believe of me
URGent, best radio on the net - 24/7 ! - http://urgent.rug.ac.be/