[gst-devel] GstInterface

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Thu Oct 16 00:19:07 CEST 2003

Hi Benjamin,

On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 17:38, in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de wrote:
> You know that in this example the _same_ element could return TRUE or FALSE
> depending on the device property or the element's state, right?
> Which means you can't rely on typecasts anymore.

I will always have that, no matter what system I choose. Even if I
require every call to my mixer to be preceeded by a call to
->supported() instead of relying on the casted object, I have serious
races.

I don't care. And this is serious. I really don't care. There is no
solution. Except for doing proper programming in one's application.

At least for the oss/v4l/v4l2 elements, they all emit signals for
open()/close(), so by knowing this (maybe I need to document that), I
can know when my casted mixer-object stops being valid.

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer