[gst-devel] gst-player performance

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Tue Oct 21 07:36:13 CEST 2003

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Colin Fox wrote:

> What about my other point, though - the choppiness of the gst player? Is
> that just because it's a development version, or is there something
> inherent in the whole gst technique that imposes too much overhead to
> have a smooth video stream?
>
> Is there anything I can do to get the player to play faster/smoother?

The main reasons why the player uses more CPU than mplayer IMO are
1) updating gtk (like the time display and the slider)
2) slower plugins (like mad for mp3 decoding)
though I haven't benchmarked it and threading might be part of that
picture, too.

Gtk updating runs in an idle callback though, so that shouldn't be an
issue. As for the plugins you probably need to find out if you use bad
ones (which is a pain to do when you're not a gst hacker, I know).

I think we do quite well wrt speed though. Benchmarks are always welcome.

Benjamin