[gst-devel] this colorspace bla

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Sat Oct 25 18:10:19 CEST 2003

Hi,

some time ago, I worked on LCS. This worked fairly well, as in: I was
able to make an any-to-any colorspace convertor. The downside was that
it was horribly slow, not to mention onworkably slow, so I never
actually committed my changes yet. They're still pending in the dark
corners of bugzilla. Anyway, we're still facing major issues in playing
back sorensen1/3 and several other exotic formats that I want to support
perfectly in 0.8.0, and this is partly caused by the fact that we only
have a limited amount of CSP conversion functions, and not all of the
ones required to transfer the ffmpeg-decoded formats to something that
our videocard likes.

I want to fix this by using a FFMPEG based colorspace plugin. It's
committed to CVS (gst-plugins/ext/ffmpeg/gstffmpegcolorspace.c) and it
works fairly well. If nobody objects, I'd like to propose to use this
plugin ('ffcolorspace') instead of the default one ('colorspace') in
gst-player and the like. Long-term, we might still want to develop LCS,
but for now, FFMPEG gives us a highly optimized CSP conversion routine
library. I think that's more than good enough for now.

Any comments?

Ronald

Linux Video/Multimedia developer