[gst-devel] python bindings

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Mon Sep 29 16:00:08 CEST 2003

Hi everyone !

I've finally gotten internet access at my new home ! Back to work on
drumbox ... : )

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> I want to start using the python bindings more.

The Python bindings totally rock ! Thanks taaz ! Programming with the
rapid development of Python and the speed of GTK+/GStreamer is heaven.

> Looking over them, I see we still have things like
>
> gst.gst_element_factory_make,
>
> which contrasted to things like gtk.window.move () isn't very
> pythonic.
>
> I seem to recall that this was because we had _connect_, which we
> changed to _link_ for that reason.

Yes, this was a good move. Thanks to that change we can use clean Python
functions like gstreamer.Element.link(other_element) and such.

> So, in my mind it seems like right now we can move on and change
> gst.gst_element_factory_make to gst.element.factory_make or even
> gst.element.factory.make.

This is still a little too complex for my taste. I just looked in the
gstreamer package and found an ElementFactory object, but it has no
`make' or 'factory_make' or 'element_make' functions. Also,
ElementFactory is abstract class. But nobody uses ElementFactory
instances for anything except building elements, so I don't think this
would be very useful as a concrete class. All we need is one function
for creating elements, so I'd vote for something simple like
gstreamer.factory_make() or possibly even just
gstreamer.{make|create|build|...?}().

In any case, the `gst_element' prefix is a namespace indicator from the
C code, and doesn't have any place (as I see it) in the Python package,
since we already have a `gstreamer' namespace there.

leif

--
Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/