[gst-devel] release

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Tue Apr 13 11:57:19 CEST 2004

Hi,

> The latest GStreamer CVS is rocking for me.  Now, I'd like to release
> Rhythmbox 0.8.0.  However I don't want to do that until a GStreamer with
> the memleak fixes (in particular) is out.

> This is all sort of urgent because the freeze for FC2t3 is Thursday
> evening, and I'd like to have this all in before then...
>
> So has anyone committed anything that might even be halfway questionable
> to CVS?  Looking at the changelog it's a little hard to tell.

Well, a bunch of stuff got commited and I must agree it's hard to tell
whether or not we should consider head "safe" at the moment.  I've ran
into some things that might be bugs, or regressions, depending on how
you look at it.

Today someone in the channel noticed - and I could reproduce - that oggs
and spider make osssink fixate on mono even if the file is stereo, as
opposed to mp3's that make it fixate correctly (#139929)

I have had some spurious problems with the new oss probing code (which
is quite a major change, how can we gauge the impact of that on all the
hardware out there ?)  I haven't been able to reliably reproduce this
bug, however.

There's another bug I ran into today that breaks playback of mp3 files
with spider (#139926), because spider sometimes plugs a few id3tag
elements in a row (since id3tag can serve three different caps,
depending on some heuristic, one of which is the same as the sink
caps).  This depends on the order in which it traverses element
factories, at the moment, which is semi-random (ie depends on your local
layout :))

These are the three bugs I know about that would directly affect
RhythmBox and may be serious enough to fix first.  Although, the first
and the third were also in 0.8.0 to the best of my knowledge (I can't
reproduce the third with 0.8.0 because it happens to check mad before
id3tag for me).

Thomas

Whenever we meet you say you've changed
Like it's some gift you're not the same