[gst-devel] release

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Tue Apr 13 12:25:03 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 14:52, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Well, a bunch of stuff got commited and I must agree it's hard to tell
> whether or not we should consider head "safe" at the moment.  I've ran
> into some things that might be bugs, or regressions, depending on how
> you look at it.

It's a regression if it worked in 0.8.0, right?

> Today someone in the channel noticed - and I could reproduce - that oggs
> and spider make osssink fixate on mono even if the file is stereo, as
> opposed to mp3's that make it fixate correctly (#139929)

From that bug it looks like an issue fixed in CVS.  So that would be a
reason to release, not to not release, no?

> I have had some spurious problems with the new oss probing code (which
> is quite a major change, how can we gauge the impact of that on all the
> hardware out there ?)  I haven't been able to reliably reproduce this
> bug, however.

Yeah, it is a concern about all the hardware out there.  On the other
hand we do know it fixes a real bug.  I think it really comes down to
David's confidence in the changes.

> There's another bug I ran into today that breaks playback of mp3 files
> with spider (#139926), because spider sometimes plugs a few id3tag
> elements in a row (since id3tag can serve three different caps,
> depending on some heuristic, one of which is the same as the sink
> caps).  This depends on the order in which it traverses element
> factories, at the moment, which is semi-random (ie depends on your local
> layout :))

Yuck.  But that's not something introduced post-0.8.0 right?