[gst-devel] ffmpeg

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Apr 14 08:45:29 CEST 2004

Hey Thomas,

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> at ronald's request I updated our ffmpeg snapshot to a new one and fixed
> ensuing patch drift.  I also wrote down the procedure in HACKING in
> gst-ffmpeg.  Ronald, for the next update I think it'd be a good idea if
> we went through it together, ie. you doing it and me being online to
> help figure out stuff.  Once you get used to it it only takes like half
> an hour, most of which is spent waiting for cvs :) But you need to make
> sure you're doing the right thing at each step.

Awesome!

> I also had to put in a simple fix for a code file that was obviously
> wrong; a function call was missing four arguments ! :) So I'm pretty
> sure that the snapshot date you gave me was one that didn't compile...
> For the next time, I think it will be a lot easier on yourself when
> updating if you check beforehand whether or not the snapshot is
> compilable.  I guess this time I was lucky :)

Sidenote:
Half of the code is not compiled if you do a 'make' in a ffmpeg tree.
After the autotoolification patch, all *is* compiled, so you start seeing
all sorts of errors.
Ffmpeg's build is very odd.

Anyway, I tested ffmpeg somewhere halfway that evening and that compiled
fine, so there was probably some glitch in between moments that made this
exact version not compile. Let's call it a CVS race. ;).

Anyway, great work, I'll try this magic myself a few times with you
around, hope I get used to it. I have no current new patches for the
ffmpeg tree, I do have some pending patches for gst-ffmpeg that I'll apply
tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully in time for the next release. They should
enable MS RLE playback.

Thanks,

Ronald