[gst-devel] prereleases

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Wed Apr 14 20:58:09 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-04-15 at 00:13, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Please, still hold commits.

I have several media playback fixes (#135862: ADPCM in .wav [affects
wavparse], #138680: MS RLE in .avi [affects gst-plugins/gst-ffmpeg,
fairly large]). I also have a patch to add support for filesrc
file=file.m4a ! spider ! osssink (no, that didn't work so far). And we
still have the ARM type reading patches that were approved but not yet
committed. Hold off or commit?

All attached for review, except ARM stuff which is from Daniel
(http://www.epita.fr/~gazard_d/gst-patchs).

Explanation for the m4a one: see typefind detection in
gsttypefindfunctions.c, there's no such type registered anywhere else.

Explanation for the ADPCM one: wavparse used to spit out chunks in
pieces with a max. size of 1024 bytes. I've seen ADPCM files with 2048
bytes chunks, and those cannot be split because then the decoder thinks
they're separate chunks and thus redecodes them separately and fails
horribly. Did I mention wavparse needs a rewrite and needs to be based
on rifflib? :).

Explanation for RLE: we need a palette which is after the strf struct in
the strf stream header chunk, but those weren't used in the appropriate
functions for caps creation, so I added API to do that (gst-plugins),
and I changed ffmpeg's way of handling extradata slightly in
gstffmpegcodecmap, the code path is still the same but it is now a
per-codec-id thing, a lot cleaner (gst-ffmpeg). Other codecs using SVQ3
have been confirmed to still work here locally.

I personally feel that each of those should be included because they're
important bugfixes. Also, the ARM bugfixes should be applied for the
same reason. And yes, I should have committed all those long time ago,
but unfortunately I'm rather busy and cannot spend all my time on
GStreamer right now. ;).

Ronald