[gst-devel] Call for ideas : Video and Audio sinks for Gstreamer on Windows

Sebastian Hartte Sebastian at Hartte.de
Sun Aug 1 15:18:00 CEST 2004

Christian HJ Wiesner wrote:

> Sebastian Hartte wrote:
>
>> Oh i almost forgot,
>> is there some way of creating a wrapper element for DirectShow filters?
>> Given the GUID of a filter it should be possible for
>> an element to dynamically create all the pads (pins) and hold an
>> instance of the filter internally. I suppose that could increase
>> the use of gstreamer on windows dramatically since it could be used to
>> play propietary file formats without some nasty
>> hacked wrapper code. (Windows Media 8, 9, etc.)
>> bye, Storm
>

> This is certainly possible, but i expect it wouldnt be very easy to
> do, and the goal must be that all plugins for gstreamer are usable on
> all supported platforms, not just Windows, IMO.

However, the video and audio sinks wont be usable on Linux as well and i
don't see any native WMV plugin coming to Linux (or any other platform)
any time soon.