[gst-devel] splitup proposal

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Aug 2 01:27:04 CEST 2004

Hi,

> random comments:
>
> We have to make sure -plugins and -plugins-extras have an easily
> verifiable distinction. I still fear "royalty-free" leads us into
> Debian-legal, though it's far better than "unencumbered."

I think we'll make it :) It won't be debian-legal, even if only because
debian-legal currently has no clue about multimedia.

> Another criterium I'd like to add is "binaries distributable as LGPL".
> (This obviously includes "or more free".)

Ok.  Why would you want this btw ?

> I don't think we need a distinction between -extras and not -extras in
> unstable. Just dump all plugins into it.

I've thought about that too, but in the end I'd prefer the two-by-two
symmetry, and there's no reason to repeat one of my current problems for
-extras.

> Do we release the unstable sutff? I'm not sure how we should handle the
> case where there are badly maintained decoders/encoders for rare formats.
> If we don't distribute them (even in a bad quality), it reflects badly on
> the GStreamer players "all my other players do play westwood cinematics".
> I can expect people that need a framerate adjuster in KFramerateAdjuster
> to copy that plugin into their code, but I don't think we want Rhythmbox,
> Totem, gst-player, etc to include all the badly maintained codecs. Would a
> gst-codecs-unstable package make sense?

I think we should release the unstable stuff, yes.  Maybe not as often,
depending on what gets fixed.  Naming the tarball unstable makes it
pretty clear what people can expect from it :)

Splitting them off in a separate package however doesn't seem necessary.

> Would it make sense to change the name from gstreamer-plugins to
> gstreamer-multimedia, gstreamer-codecs or similar? I thought about
> something that emphasizes that GStreamer is about streaming and the
> multimedia capabilities are part of those packages.

That would indicate we'd put non-codec-stuff in yet another package ? I
wouldn't make it even more complicated just yet.  A simple 2x2 will be
the easiest to manage for now; we can still see how it pans out later
on.

Thomas

Ik voel me zo door jou verlaten
als een zoebox zonder platen