[gst-devel] Tag & Metainfo

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Aug 26 00:26:04 CEST 2004

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Ronald Bultje wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004, francois.visconte wrote:
> > I'm developping a kind of player and i would like to use gstreamer for
> > playback. Reading documentation i have discovered that gstreamer offer
> > tag metadata information backend.
> > It seem to be a recent feature of gstreamer so i would like to know if
> > this interface
> > is usable for most usable format (mp3, ogg, flac) for now
>
> Yes. RB uses it in some sort of following fashion:

That part is correct. Rhythmbox uses it for reading tags and it works
without problems for at least mp3 and ogg. People told me that flac and
windows media work fine, too.

> 1. set up a pipeline "filesrc location=X ! application/x-gst-metadata !
> fakesink"
> 2. wait for the "have-tag" signal
> 3. cycle 1-2 for all your files

That part is wrong and was only correct during the last development
series where we experimented with that approach.
The current approach does it like this:
1. Setup a pipeline like this: src ! spider ! audio/x-raw-int ! fakesink
2. Connect to fakesink's handoff signal (and set the "signal-handoffs"
property to TRUE)
3. Connect to the pipeline's "have-tag" signal
4. Iterate until fakesink gets data or you get an error. Collect all tags
while doing this.

Benjamin