[gst-devel] Re: Gstreamer plugin for DC1394

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Thu Feb 5 14:40:26 CET 2004

Hi Wayne

On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 19:30, Wayne Piekarski wrote:
> Hi Steve,

> I notice that you currently do not have a DC1394 driver for Gstreamer. This
> is something I want and I would like to develop a plugin for this. I
> currently have code which uses DC1394 from someone else but it is GPL and I
> was told Gstreamer needs LGPL. I have contacted the authors and asked them
> to give me a new copy of the file saying it is LGPL at the top and then I
> will hack on that. Is this sufficient?

Plugins can be written with any license, including the GPL.  If the
authors don't mind relicensing to LGPL then it would be more convenient
to GStreamer, but it is not vital.

> After that I will then write a Gstreamer interface for Artoolkit.

cool

> Currently my plan is to take the DV1394 plugin and use that as a template.

dv1394src is currently unmaintained, so ymmv.
You might be able to get DC1394 video into gstreamer through v4l using
something like this:
http://www.tele.ucl.ac.be/PEOPLE/DOUXCHAMPS/ieee1394/coriander/
although a native plugin would be preferable.

I've forwarded this reply to the gst-devel mailing list - you should
send any questions there as you're more likely to get a reply from
someone who knows what they're taking about ;)

cheers
--
Steve Baker <steve at stevebaker.org>